Starting Point is a locally-rooted social enterprise based in Stockport, established to support people to lead happier, healthier and fairer lives through informal learning and creating change through community building.
We focus on:
- Digital inclusion
- Action and change through community organising
- Health and Wellbeing
Our services are free to the end user and we trade by selling training services to organisations who share our values and benefit from our services, including housing associations, other VCSE organisations and local council.
Our small team supports over 1500 learners each year. Examples include:
- Providing digital inclusion classes to housing tenants.
- Providing holiday clubs to three primary schools.
- Acting as the community connector for DigiKnow – an alliance of private, statutory and community organisations supporting people to get online.
- Working with GP social prescribers to host positive mental health courses.
We believe everyone needs at least one person in their life to depend on. COVID-19 has shown us that these networks don’t always exist yet there are neighbours wanting to offer support. Starting Point creates these social networks in organic ways without it becoming a “befriending” initiative that is manufactured and unsustainable.